Jason Aldean, Some Las Vegas Casinos Cancel Shows In Wake Of Sunday’s Tragedy
Jason Aldean, who was on stage when the carnage began on Sunday night in Las Vegas, has cancelled this weekend’s concerts, as have a growing number of other artists and promoters. Las Vegas led the cancellations, as the city tries to recover from the mass shooting which took 59 lives and left more than 500 injured.
“As a result of what happened in Las Vegas this week, we have decided to cancel this coming weekend’s shows. I feel like out of respect for the victims, their families and our fans, it is the right thing to do,” country superstar Jason Aldean said in a statement cancelling his concert this weekend, LA, San Diego and Anaheim. His tour will resume on Oct. 12th in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
A growing number of Las Vegas shows are also cancelling upcoming performances while others, like Celine Dion, chose to continue schedule shows.
MGM Resorts International, which owns several properties on the Las Vegas Strip, including Mandalay Bay, has canceled its scheduled shows for the second night in a row following the horrific mass shooting incident at a music festival on Sunday.
Affected shows at MGM Resorts properties include several Cirque du Soliel shows, including “O” at Bellagio, “The Beatles Love” at Mirage and “Michael Jackson One” at Mandalay Bay. MGM spokeswoman Yvette Monet said the shows were canceled on Monday and Tuesday out of respect for the victims of the attack.
MGM’s competitors also announced that shows had been canceled or postponed in the wake of the attack.
Jennifer Lopez, who is in the middle of a residency at Caesars Palace, announced that her shows on Oct. 4, 6, and 7 have been postponed. “Jennifer is heartbroken that such a senseless tragedy occurred,” said a statement announcing the postponement. “Her thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”
However, some artists chose to continue with scheduled performances, including Celine Dion, who performs Tuesday and Wednesday night at the Colosseum.