12 Questions To Ask Before You Make That Post
Simply having a presence on social media is no guarantee that, as a band or artist, you’re using it effectively. Here we examine twelve questions you should ask your self in advance of making a social media post to ensure you focus your content for the best possible impact.
Guest post by Bobby Owsinski of Music 3.0
As I’ve said many times here and in my book Social Media Promotion For Musicians, just being on a social network doesn’t mean that you’re using it effectively for promotion. There’s a mindset that’s need before you can use any network as a promotional tool. Here are 12 questions to ask yourself (thanks to this Time article) before you post to any social network that will help you focus your content for greatest impact.
1. Is the message educational, informational, or entertaining? Stop if it doesn’t fit into either of these categories.
2. Is the voice correct? Remember to stay within your brand and not get too personal.
3. Is it too long? Shorter posts get more engagement.
4. Is the URL correct? You did remember to include a link, right? Make sure you check that it’s working
6. Did I use the right keywords and hashtags to maximize exposure? Keywords and hashtags are still important.
7. How many times have I already posted something today? Too many posts in the day may mean that this one could be ignored.
8. Did I spell check? Poor spelling is something that people notice immediately and it detracts from the message of the post.
9. Will I be okay with absolutely anyone seeing this? Stop and rewrite if you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable about something in the post. Follow your gut on this one.
10. Is this reactive communication or is it well thought-out? If you’re angry, take an hour to calm down before you post. A quick reactive post is how flame wars start.
11. Did I make the most of visual content—images, video, slides? Visuals increase engagement on almost all platforms.
12. Did I make the most of my update text—headline formulas, polls, quizzes? You only have so many chances for attention so make the most of them.
The best way to use social media as an effective promotion tool is to post great content. Follow these 12 questions and you’ll always be sure that you’re in the ballpark.
You can read more from Social Media Promotion For Musicians and my other books on the excerpt section of bobbyowsinski.com.