YouTube By The Numbers: 1 Day, 300,000 New Videos + More Surprising Stats
A new look by Pexeso at a day in the life of YouTube has revealed some interesting numbers. It seems music has drifted out of the spotlight somewhat, now coming in at fourth place behind things like gaming and blogs.
Guest post by Bobby Owsinski on Music 3.0
A recent look at a day in the life of YouTube by Pexeso is extremely illuminating. First of all, it’s not as music-centric as it was previously, with only 5% of its videos now dedicated to music. Those amounted to 11% of total views, which comes in 4th behind gaming, entertainment, and people and blogs. Another eye-opening stat is that more than 93% of the videos are in English, and that the 3 major labels rank 2, 3 and 4 among the number of take-down notices issued.
Here’s an overview of the data. You can find a very nice infographic here.
Brief overview of statistics of 1 YouTube day:
- YouTube receives roughly 300,000 individual video uploads each day, amounting to 80k hours of video and 24TB of data.
- 8am PST is the busiest time of day for video uploads, whereas 12:36am is the least busy. Approximately 10x more videos are uploaded during the busiest time comparing to the least busy.
- The average video uploaded to YouTube is 15 minutes long and 86MB in size.
- 93.5% of videos uploaded to YouTube are in English.
- The People & Blogs category receives the highest volume of uploads, accounting for a whopping 41% of videos uploaded everyday, followed by Gaming (14%), Film & Action (10%) and Entertainment (8%).
- Although the People & Blogs category accounts for the most video uploads each day, Gaming is king, receiving the most attention.
- Static videos — typically spammy videos containing just a static image whose purpose is to lure people outside of YouTube — account for unbelievable 7.5% of all uploaded videos.
What happens to videos after they’re uploaded?
- Only 35% of all videos uploaded will be claimed by rights holders. 26% will be monitored or monetized by the copyright holder; the remainder will be taken down.
- A whopping 32% of all videos will end up removed within the first 24 hours.
- 5% of videos will be deleted by users.
- 18% will be removed because the user had their account terminated.
- 9% will be taken down due to copyright infringement.
- 0.4% of all videos are made private by the users in the first 24 hours.
- 5% accounts that uploads videos in any given day get terminated for violating YouTube’s TOS.
- Terminated accounts upload around 20% of all videos every day, 6x more than a typical account.
Any perceptions of YouTube as a platform that’s dominated by music are shattered by this study. Indeed, video does account for 74% of all Internet traffic, but music is just a small piece of it.